All Collections
Frequently Asked Questions
Choosing and Switching
Switching Electricity Providers in Texas: Common Questions and Answers
Switching Electricity Providers in Texas: Common Questions and Answers

Find answers to the most common questions about switching electric service providers in Texas.

Enri avatar
Written by Enri
Updated over a week ago
  1. How do I compare energy plans in my area?

    Enter your zip code on ComparePower to compare energy plans, rates, features, and terms of various energy plans in your area to choose the best one for your needs.

  2. What is the process for switching energy providers?

    Switching energy providers in Texas is a simple process. First, you need to select the energy plan that suits your needs. Then, you can enroll online by providing basic information such as your name and address. Your new provider will take care of the switch, which typically takes a few business days.

  3. Can I switch providers if I still owe money to my current provider?

    Yes, you can switch providers even if you still owe money to your current provider. However, your current provider may charge you an early termination fee if you are under contract.

  4. Will there be any interruption in my service when I switch providers?

    No, your service should not be interrupted when you switch providers. Your new provider will work with the utility company to ensure a smooth service transition.

  5. How do I know if I am getting a good deal on my energy plan?

    To know if you are getting a good deal on your energy plan, compare the rates and features of various plans in your area. Consider your energy usage habits to choose a plan that fits your needs.

  6. How do I know if I am in a contract with my current provider?

    You can check your current energy contract or contact your provider to confirm if you are under contract.

  7. Can I switch to a renewable energy plan?

    Yes, there are many renewable energy plans available in Texas. You can compare plans and providers to find one that offers renewable energy options.

  8. How long does it take to switch providers?

    Switching providers at ComparePower typically takes around 10-15 minutes. After enrolling, the physical switch from your old provider to your new one usually takes 1-7 days, with your first bill from the new provider arriving shortly thereafter. During the transition, there will be no interruption to your service. If you are enrolling for a new service, the start date for your service will be set up during the enrollment process.

  9. What happens if I change my mind after I switch providers?

    If you have changed your mind after switching to a new electricity provider, you have a three-day window to cancel the agreement without facing any penalty or fee. This period is known as the "Right to Rescind," mandated by the Public Utility Commission of Texas to protect consumers from unwanted switching. You can cancel your switch by contacting the electricity company within three business days of receiving your Terms of Service agreement.

  10. What should I do if my service has been switched without my permission?

    Call the unauthorized Retail Electric Provider (REP) immediately to discuss the situation. If the provider insists they were chosen, ask them to send you a copy of the authorization. If the provider cannot provide it and you think you have been Slammed, you should contact the Public Utility Commission's (PUC) Customer Protection Division toll-free at 1-888-PUC-TIPS (1-888-782-8477) or visit

  11. What is Slamming

    Slamming is a term used in the energy industry to refer to the unauthorized switching of a customer's energy service to a new provider without their consent. It can happen through deceptive marketing practices or fraud, leading to unexpected billing and service quality changes. The Public Utility Commission of Texas has established protections to prevent slamming and allow customers to report and resolve any incidents of unauthorized switching easily.

  12. What is Cramming?

    Cramming is an unauthorized charge on your electric bill, which means you are charged for services or products you did not agree to or receive. It is a fraudulent practice that is illegal and should be reported to the Public Utility Commission's Customer Protection Division.

  13. Who do I call with billing questions?

    Please reach out to your Retail Electric Provider (REP) with any billing questions about your electric service. Their contact information can be found on your electricity bill or the REP's website.

Did this answer your question?